Spinach & Barber's 1833 Soufflés
Serves 6-8, depending on size of ramekins
200g bag washed and ready to eat spinach
40g butter, plus extra for greasing
40g plain flour
25g white breadcrumbs
100g Barber's 1833 Vintage Reserve Cheddar, finely grated
1 tsp Dijon mustard
Freshly grated nutmeg, salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 eggs, separated
- Heat the oven to 200ºC / Gas Mark 6. Pierce the bag full of spinach in several places and microwave on full power for 1½ - 2 minutes until wilted. Leave until cool enough to handle, then squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Chop roughly.
- Melt the butter in a pan and stir in the flour. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in the milk until smooth and then cook gently, stirring, for 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside to cool slightly.
- Brush 6-8 ramekins or small ovenproof dishes with melted butter and coat with breadcrumbs.
- Stir most of the cheese and the mustard into the sauce and season with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in the egg yolks and then add the spinach.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites until forming soft peaks. Take care not to allow them to become dry. Spoon 2 tablespoons of egg white into the cheese mixture.
- Place the ramekins in a roasting tin and pour in boiling water to come half way up the sides of the dishes. Bake for 10-12 minutes until well risen and golden brown, but still with a little bit of a 'wobble'.
- Serve immediately with green salad.